Friday 18 August 2023

At last it rains

The ground is so dry it amazes me any
thing survives. I dug in to the
soil surface and although it felt like I was chipping away concrete, the ground was completely devoid of water. If I'd used the hygrometer I would have got nowhere, it just wouldn't have registered. 
So today, I'm smiling. 
The water maybe falling from the sky but it's gentle and the chances of it soaking in is far greater than it would be if it had come in a deluge. We have been forecast heavy rain and potentially thunderstorms, but a gentle soaking like this will be a good start.
The shed roof is a good collection point so I've the various pots ready.
I tend to avoid water butts, not sure why but I do like to see the water I've collected and monitor whether it's turning anaerobic or not, which covered water often does. 
I'll cope with the midge larva rather than some of the proto zoids that can get in.

Laundry's little helper

I wonder if many know what this is?  I had one.  It was made by Hotpoint and lasted for well over 10 years. I used it frequently...