Friday 31 January 2020

.....but its January!?!

Ditching the car once more I decided to exercise the old people's bus pass and headed into Tonbridge to have a tea at McDonalds and then get on the number 7 into Maidstone. 
The journey is about 14 miles and by car it would normally take about 35 minutes. Parking at the Park and Ride, there is a further 20 minutes into town, so it's not a short trip.
By bus, the journey is actually further because it takes in the villages between Tonbridge and Maidstone, whilst the car would hug the A-roads and dual carriageway, get onto the M20 for one junction and avoid the villages all together.
However, buses are slower, give over-the-hedgerow views of the area, giving someone like me (who is invariably driving) the opportunity to look at something other than the tarmac ahead.
I never realised there were so many large country residences along this stretch of road! It was a true revelation. 
Mentally noting the positioning of bus stops,  I came to the conclusion summer months were for exploring, photography and taking the sound recorder with me just in case, after all, I have no idea what I will see or hear.
Buses are liberating and give those of us who end up behind the wheel a chance to stretch our legs, get some exercise and see a bit of the area we usually drive through.
If you've not tried it, then maybe take one more vehicle off the road for a while, slow the pace down and go and explore.
After all, if I was driving I'd never noticed the big clumps of crocus in the fields outside Hadlow or the swathes of snowdrops in the woods by Mereworth. I wouldn't have noticed the catkins hanging full of pollen by the Medway at Yalding, nor the height of the river at the lock gates there. 
In fact, all I would have seen would be the tail lights of the cars in front of me and the side lights of those approaching. 
Today, I had the better view.

Laundry's little helper

I wonder if many know what this is?  I had one.  It was made by Hotpoint and lasted for well over 10 years. I used it frequently...